Back to School
Back to school season is a great time of year to focus on health and wellness. Help your child start the school year by preparing them both physically and mentally using the tips below:
- Stay up to date on vaccines: Check with the school to make sure your child is up to date on preventive exams and vaccinations.
- Build healthy sleep habits: Children and teens need 9-11 hours of sleep per night. Keep bedtime and morning routines consistent every day. Turn off all electronics 1-2 hours before bed.
- Focus on nutrition: Add a fruit and/or veggie with each meal. Swap nuts for chips or provide water instead of juice or soda. Limit eating out and eat together when possible.
- Control stress: Back to school can be stressful. Help your child develop healthy ways to channel stress. Go for a walk as a family; encourage drawing; or play catch outside.
- Limit screen time: Limit screen time to encourage your children to be more active. Set rules for screen time and be a good digital role model.